Monday, February 21, 2011

My new bedroom

Since we bought our home last fall, I have been wanting to do something fun with our bedroom. Once again I found inspiration at Rebecca Anthony's place! She showed some decorating pics from her new home and I was so inspired by her tangerine bedroom!
I love lots of color in my home too, so I took a deep breath, went to the paint store and picked out a gorgeous orange poppy color for one wall in my bedroom.





Then I headed off to the fabric store to look for fabrics for a new duvet cover.

I had shopped online for a couple months, just looking for the perfect cover, and never found one that was quite right...

At the fabric store I stumbled upon this collection of fabrics that I just LOVE!  All oranges, reds, yellows, blues and greens, and they remind me so much of my art too...lots of details.



The center panel here is intended for a pillow, but I used it as the center of my cover instead...                       What do you think?
I JUST LOVE THE SWIRLS AND DOTS IN THIS
FABRIC (and of course all the flowers are so ME!)
Loved this pattern and this shade of green, so I decided to add a strip of it just where the cover reaches the edge of the bed on either side ~ Helps when making the bed believe it or not!  ;-)  I also used this fabric at the top on the backside, so when the duvet cover is turned over, it shows the green against the print and looks really nice!



I am over the moon with how this turned out! (this pic is a little fuzzy, but you get the idea)
 I cannot go into this room without smiling!  Now I just need to make some custom curtains to match and lots of fun coordinating shams and throw pillows and it will be perfect!

By the way the art behind our bed is done by my very talented sister Amber!  It's extra special to have it hanging over our bed, knowing my sissy made it for me.


Don't ya just love C O L O R!

Thank you to Rebecca again for always inspiring me to GO FOR IT!!!

SMILES

19 comments:

Kristin Dudish said...

Wow - I am so so impressed... Oh how I wish I could sew (your talents are so far reaching)! That fabric looks as if it were made just for you!!!

Enjoy your "new" room!

xo
Kristin

Rebecca Anthony said...

OMG, I love it!! This color looks amazing with the duvet cover you made and the fabric is absolutely gorgeous!! I love color, it brings such happy energy into a home(O: I'm glad I could be an inspiration to you because your talents inspire me to no end!! Yea!! Well done, looks SOOOO fab!

rachel awes said...

i loooove these oranges & greens...
a DELICIOUS bedroom!
& i love rebecca anthony/fabulous inspiration!!

Ces Adorio said...

ZING! ZING! ZING!!!
A burst of color!
An explosion of life!
Breathing,
Living,
Sleeping,
Waking!
I love this.
You must have Fiesta dishes.

Ces Adorio said...

You will smile coming in to this bedroom.
You will smile when you wake up.
It is a smile room!

Ces Adorio said...

I love it!

Crystal said...

I love it! What a wonderful job you have done. I just wish I could get the energy to get my guest room painted! The paint has been sitting in there for 6 months! :-)

Marlene said...

Julia, this is definitely YOU! Gorgeous and yes I love the color. I do not sew and I am just amazed by those that can. Gorgeous duvet cover you talented lady.

Heather said...

Julia, wow! I feel like i am looking at your art on fabric....it's sooooo cool and totally suits you!
I love orange, and it's so fun in here in your room! A happy place to end the day and wake up to.
rebecca is so inspring. i agree.
also, WAY to go on the sewing!!!! you are sooo lucky to be able to sew. that's one thing i have always wanted to learn! YAY, sweet dreams!

GalleryJuana said...

I love how you've redone your bedroom and your new duvet cover is impressive!

Tammie Lee said...

it is all so wonderful and alive, perfect for any season!! I can see why you smile, it must feel grand to have done this.

Julia Christie said...

Thank you all so much! It is such fun to share this project with you - I know it's nice to get glimpses into your homes at the holidays and imagine what your day to day lives are like.

this was a fun project made all the moreso by the sharing of it!

Smiles

WrightStuff said...

A tangerine dream! Bet you have fab dreams now!

Ana Márquez said...

Your blog is really, really beautiful and you have a wonderful creativity

I come from "Translucent Blue" :-) I've seen your link there.

A big hug!

Shayla said...

Duuuuude, I wish my room looked this killer!

(Thank you for your kind words btw...it really means a lot to me.)

elena nuez said...

me encanta Julia y ademas es absolutamente tu estilo!!! bien hecho artista!

Sinderella's Studio said...

I would smile too walking into that room - love the quilt - I see that your painting patterns are part of your tangible world too, how wonderful.
cheers, dana

outdoor.mom said...

it is just BREATHTAKING!! that reminds me of India too.... maybe its just me ;-) I love the soft lamp glow too!!

Unknown said...

Wow, all these colors and patterns just absolutely POP! I love the color you’ve chosen for the walls. It’s not a choice many people make because they think it’s too heavy or too warm, but I think it looks great. The combination it makes with the fabric gives it life. Great job!

-- Carlo Wieder